Jingci Temple: Jingci Temple is located at the foot of Huiri Peak in Nanping Mountain, facing the West Lake. It is a famous jungle temple in Hangzhou.
Qian Hongchu, King Zhongyi of Wuyue in the Five Dynasties, founded it in the first year of Xiande in the Later Zhou Dynasty (954).
When it was first built, Minghui Riyongmingyuan welcomed Zen Master Daoqian of Quzhou into the temple. He first opened the altar and preached the Bodhisattva Precepts, and was named Zen Master Cihua Dinghui. King Wuyue gave him Zigali, who became the founder of Jingci Temple.
Zen Master Daoqian has a high level of spiritual practice. Monks from all over the world come to visit the temple, often more than 500 people.
In the second year of Xiande in the later Zhou Dynasty, Dao Qian made a request to Qian Hongchu to move the sixteen gold and bronze Arhats in the underground palace under the Huangfei Pagoda to Jingci Temple. Qian Hongchu also dreamed of the sixteen Arhats and asked to sneak into the temple with Dao, thinking that it would be effective.
, so the name of Dao Qianshi Yingzhen was added, and the Luohan Hall built was also called Yingzhen Hall.
The picture of the Sixteen Arhats painted by the eminent monk Guanxiu of the Five Dynasties was later known as the "Sixteen True Images" and is now preserved in the Forest of Steles in Hangzhou.
After Dao Qian passed away in the second year of Jianlong of the Song Dynasty (961), King Wu Yue invited Zen Master Yanshou from Lingyin Temple to head Huiri Yongmingyuan and became the first abbot of Jingci Temple.
Dao Qian and Yanshou both studied and practiced Fayan Sect, which is one of the five schools of Zen Buddhism. Its founder, Zen Master Wenyi (885-958), was born in Yuhang, Hangzhou. He absorbed Buddhist Zen and Vinaya sects, and integrated Yunmen and Caodong
The Zen method has become a "family tradition" of its own, and he wrote the "Ten Rules of the Sect".
After Wen Yi's death, Li Jing, the central leader of the Southern Tang Dynasty, posthumously named him Dafayan Zen Master, so later generations called him "Fayan Sect".
Zen Master Yanshou has been the abbot of Jingci Temple for 15 years and has 1,700 disciples. He also built two pavilions in the temple, the East and West, and gathered disciples who are proficient in the doctrines of various sects to study Buddhism. He has written hundreds of volumes of "Zong Jing Lu" with more than 800,000 words in it. He is a well-known figure in the Buddhist world.
's classic works.
Since "Zongjinglu" was finalized in the Yongmingyuan Hall of Enlightenment, the hall was renamed Zongjingtang. Yanshou became the third founder of the Fayan Sect and became famous at home and abroad.
After hearing the news, the King of Goryeo sent a special envoy to bring gifts and sent 36 monks to seek Dharma.
Fayan religious law spread abroad.
In the third year of Kaibao in the Song Dynasty (970), Yanshou was ordered by Qian Hongchu, King of Wuyue, to build the Liuhe Pagoda in Yuelun Mountain to suppress the tide.
Yanshou was an outstanding figure in Hangzhou Buddhism. After his death, Song Taizu gave him the posthumous title of "Zhijue Zen Master". Later generations named him "Yongming Zen Master" after the temple and called his pagoda "Yongming Ancestral Pagoda".
In the second year of Taiping and Xingguo's reign in the Song Dynasty (977), Jingci Temple was renamed Shouning Zen Temple, in the second year of Jianyan's reign (1128), it was renamed Jingci Zen Temple, and in the 19th year of Shaoxing (1149), it was renamed Jingci Repay Guangxiao Temple.
In the fourth year of Jiatai (1204), a fire broke out in Jingci Temple. Except for the mountain gate, everything was reduced to ashes.
In the third year of Jiading in the Song Dynasty (1210), Rujing, the thirteenth generation ancestor of the Caodong Sect, received the Dharma and became the abbot of Qingliang Temple in Jiankang (now Nanjing).
Later he came to Hangzhou and stayed at Jingci Temple twice.
For example, Jingyuan became a monk in Xuedou Temple, studied Dharma from Zhijian, became a disciple of the eminent monk Zhen Xieqing in Hangzhou for two generations, studied in Linji, learned Dharma in Caodong, and became a master of the generation.
In the 16th year of Jiading (1223), the eminent Japanese monk Eihei Dogen (1200-1253) visited the Song Dynasty twice and was taught by Rujing. After returning to China, he passed on the Caodong Sect and regarded Rujing as the founder of the Japanese Caodong Sect.
After the Jingci Temple was burned down in the 27th year of the Yuan Dynasty (1290), with the careful planning of Zen masters such as Gutian Dehoutu, Yuji Zhihui, Fangshan Wenbao, etc., the Guanyin Hall, the Main Hall, the Luohan Hall, the Dharma Hall, etc. were built successively.
And the mountain gate was rebuilt to restore its old appearance.
During the Hongwu and Zhengtong dynasties of the Ming Dynasty, Jingci Temple was seriously damaged by fire.
Abbots Fajing and Zongmiao successively raised funds for restoration.
In the fifth year of Emperor Kangxi of the Qing Dynasty (1666), the Yongming Ancestral Pagoda originally built at the foot of Daci Mountain was moved to the east of Jingci Temple, with the door inscribed as "Elysium".
In the thirty-eighth year (1699), during Kangxi's southern tour, he inscribed "Jingci Zen Temple" on his forehead.
In the forty-fourth year (1705), the mountain gate and bell tower were burned.
It was restored in the forty-sixth year (1707) and was completed in the forty-ninth year. Kangxi made the inscription "Rebuild Jingci Temple", erected a stone in front of the temple, and built the "Imperial Stele Pavilion".
In the eighth year of Yongzheng (1730), Wan Gongchi, Yongming Pagoda and other places were rebuilt.
In the ninth year of Qianlong's reign (1744), the temple was rebuilt. In the sixteenth year of Qianlong's reign (1751), Qianlong visited the temple and wrote a plaque inscribed "Zang Dharma Eyes".
During the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom, the temple was burned down.
After the Tongzhi of the Qing Dynasty, it was slightly built but not restored.
During the Republic of China, monks were recruited one after another to build the temple, which gradually took shape. Construction of the Main Hall was started in the 21st year of the Republic of China (1932) and completed in the 25th year of the Republic of China (1936). It was consecrated on the eighth day of the fourth lunar month (Buddha Bathing Day) in the following year. The hall is 9 feet and 6 feet high.
It is 7 couplets long and 5 couplets wide.
During the Anti-Japanese War, the Japanese invaders invaded Hangzhou and the palace was destroyed and damaged.
After the founding of the People's Republic of China, the temple was repaired many times.
It was completely renovated in 1955. In 1959, the main hall was renovated and the Jizu Hall was built in the west of the hall. In front of the Tianwang Hall, there was a "Nanping Bell" stele pavilion.
During the "Cultural Revolution", the temple was occupied and somewhat damaged.
Later, the policy was implemented and the temple property was returned.
After Jingci Temple was placed under the management of the Municipal Buddhist Association in 1982, the first phase of the project renovated the back hall and guest hall, and the second phase of the project renovated the King Kong Hall, Nanping Evening Bell Pavilion, Royal Stele Pavilion, Yunmu Ancient Well and Zhaobi. In 1985
Completed.
On December 14, 1984, in order to repay the kindness of the ancestral temple, Yonghei Temple, the headquarter of Japan's Soto Sect, donated 30 million yen, and a large Buddhist bell was cast by the Hangzhou Oxygen Generator Factory, the same size as in the Ming Dynasty, as a commemoration of Sino-Japanese friendship.
.
The bronze bell is 3.6 meters high, 2.3 meters in diameter, weighs more than 10,000 kilograms, and has a simple shape. There are more than 68,000 characters of the Mahayana Lotus Sutra cast on the outside. Every time it is struck, the sound lingers for 2 minutes.
When you leave Jingci Temple, there is a stele pavilion in front of you.
Nanping Evening Bell Pavilion: In front of Jingci Temple, there is a pointed square pavilion with four stone pillars.