Xinya Academy, formerly known as "Asian Literature and Business School", was founded in 1949 by scholars such as Qian Mu, Tang Junyi and Zhang. Its purpose is to trace back to the lecture spirit of Song and Ming Academy, and adopt the tutorial system of western European universities, with the educational purpose of preserving and carrying forward China's traditional humanistic spirit and communicating eastern and western cultures. At the beginning of the school, it was very small, with only a few dozen teachers and students. At night, it rented three classrooms on Jordan Road for classes. At that time, there were only three departments: literature and history, philosophy education and economics. Later, Mr. Wang Yuefeng subsidized him to rent the third and fourth floors of 6 1, 63 and 65 Guilin Street in Sham Shui Po, Kowloon as school buildings. 1950 In March, it was reorganized and renamed as Xinya College, and three departments of business, agriculture and news society were added. Later, the departments of agriculture and news agency closed down because they did not set up their own farms and there were insufficient school buildings. Mr. Qian Mu is the dean and head of the Department of Literature and History, Mr. Tang Junyi is the provost and head of the Department of Philosophy, Mr. Zhang is the general manager and head of the Department of Economics, Mr. Yang Rumei is the head of the Department of Business, and Mr. Zhao Bing is the legal adviser. At that time, other scholars who taught in the school were Wu, Luo Xianglin, Zhang, Liang Hancao, Chen Bozhuang, Cheng and Luo.
Two months after the start of school, Mr. Wang Yuefeng stopped funding because of financial difficulties, and New Asia fell into an economic crisis. As a result, Mr. Zhu, the founder of the school, went out to raise money, worked hard to write, earned a contribution fee to subsidize the academy, and struggled to support it. After Mr. Qian went to Taiwan Province, he received a monthly donation of HK$ 3,000 from the office funds of the Presidential Palace, which only solved the urgent need. 195 1, there are only more than 80 students, most of whom are young people exiled from the mainland. They can't afford the tuition, and only one third of them can. The school is in financial difficulties, and teachers are paid by the hour, with a monthly salary of 80- 100 yuan per person. In addition to regular courses, the college also holds an open cultural lecture in Guilin Street every weekend, which is well received by all parties and enjoys a wide reputation.
Since 1953, Xinya College has gradually received support and help from Hong Kong society and even international organizations, including Asia Society, Yali Society, Ford Foundation, Hong Kong Montessori Education Foundation, Harvard Yanjing Society, Rockefeller Foundation and Hong Kong Government. Among them, Yali Association is the most powerful sponsor. 1954, it started the cooperation plan with our hospital. In addition to donating new school buildings, it also helps to buy books, set up a library and donate the annual fund balance. With the assistance of all parties, New Asia Institute was established in 1953. The school building is located in Prince Edward Road, and the dean is Qian. During this period in Guilin Street, the "new Asian spirit" that Xinya teachers and students strive for their ideals is said the most.
Nongpu section (1956- 1973)
1July, 956, the first-phase school building of Nongpu Road donated by Ford Foundation was completed and moved in. The campus covers more than 40,000 square feet. One of the teaching buildings is five floors, with classrooms, laboratories, temporary auditoriums and student dormitories. The other is the library, which has stacks, reading rooms and offices. The third is a pavilion with a lecture room and a natural science classroom.
1957 set up art college courses, and then set up the Yali Club-funded art department on 1959. On 1958, the Reverend Dr. Sidney lovett, the representative of Yali in New Asia, promoted the establishment of the Science College. 1960 has two departments of mathematics and biology, and two departments of physics and chemistry were added the following year.
/kloc-in the autumn of 0/959, Dean Xinya was renamed as the principal. In the same year, I accepted the proposal of the Hong Kong government and transferred to a tertiary institution to take the unified diploma examination. At the same time, I received financial support from the Hong Kong government.
1963, the second and third phases of Nongpu Road were all completed, including the six-story teaching building and auditorium. All construction costs are funded by the Yali Association and the Hong Kong Government. At that time, the facilities and college structure of Xinya gradually improved. The Faculty of Arts includes China Literature Department, History Department, Philosophy Department, English Language Department and Art Department. The Faculty of Science has mathematics department, biology department, physics department and chemistry department. The School of Business and Social Sciences has departments of economics, accounting and finance, business administration, journalism and sociology. Three hospitals and fourteen subjects are combined into one. In the same year, she co-founded the New Asia Language Institute with the Yali Association.
1963, The Chinese University of Hong Kong was founded, and Xinya College became one of the member colleges.
Shatian period (1973-)
Shatian School Teaching Building 1973 was completed, with six buildings, and moved in in July. There are: hall (administrative teaching building), humanities hall (teaching building), hall, beam building (teacher-student activity center), library, Huiyou building (teacher-student dormitory) and Zhixing building (student dormitory). Subsequently, due to the increase in the number of students, three dormitories were built successively: Xuesi Building (1978), Wenzhi Building (1982) and Xiazi Building (2003).
1976 The Chinese University of Hong Kong Ordinance 1976 was passed by the Hong Kong Legislative Council on the third reading. The original teaching, personnel and financial powers of the college were unified to the university, and the title of President of New Asia was changed to Dean. Each member college is responsible for "student-oriented" teaching. In order to adapt to the restructuring, the College established the College Affairs Committee, which is the most important decision-making body of the College, with the president as its chairman. The college has a dean in charge of college affairs. The college is still committed to holding biweekly conferences, general education, academic lectures, academic seminars, exchange and mutual visits, editing the monthly magazine Life in New Asia, publishing the Collection of Academic Works in New Asia, and promoting various academic activities to enhance campus life.
From 65438 to 0978, our college established the "Mr. Chambins Academic and Cultural Lecture Fund", and invited world-renowned scholars to give lectures in our college every year, which became an annual event. Later, Gong Visiting Scholar Project, Ming Culture Academic Fund, Ming Economic Visiting Scholar Exchange Project and Xu Rangcheng Art Exchange Project were established. In 2007, Yu Yingshi History Lecture was co-organized with Chung Chi College, and then "New Asia Contemporary China Lecture" and "New Asia Confucianism Lecture" were added to promote academic exchanges and enrich campus academic and cultural life. In order to promote China's traditional culture, since 2000, principals and teachers of primary and secondary schools in four places across the Taiwan Straits have been invited to participate in the "China Virtue Education Action Teacher Training Course" and the "China Traditional Culture Seminar" every summer vacation.
In order to broaden students' horizons, our college has jointly organized exchange programs, summer courses, social service experience programs, leadership training, language improvement courses and so on with many famous overseas universities. The number of students in Xinya is also increasing, from 42 in 1949 to about 3000 in 20 13, which can reflect the development of Xinya Academy.