Current location - Trademark Inquiry Complete Network - Tian Tian Fund - Introduction to the Peace Palace and its history
Introduction to the Peace Palace and its history
Introduction to the Peace Palace The Peace Palace is a famous building in the Netherlands. It is located on the outskirts of The Hague and is the seat of the United Nations International Court of Justice, the International Law Library and the International Academy of Law.

The Peace Palace was built between 1907 and 1913, mainly with donations from the American Andrew Carnegie. It houses the International Court of Justice (often called the World Court), the Permanent International Court of Justice, and the International Court of Justice. arbitral tribunals, The Hague Academy of International Law and a vast international law library.

Countries around the world have contributed to its furnishings. Four guided tours are offered daily.

History of the Peace Palace The idea for such an institution was first proposed in 1900 between the Russian diplomat Friedrich Martens and the American diplomat Andrew White. resulting from discussions. Therefore, at the first Hague Peace Conference held in The Hague in 1899, the meeting decided to establish a permanent international arbitration court (PCA) here. White then contacted his friend and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie and told him about the idea. Carnegie stated that he was only interested in establishing a Library of International Law. However, after White's patient explanation, finally, in 1903, Carnegie agreed to invest US$1.5 million to build the Peace Palace and the International Law Library.

Initially, Carnegie planned to donate the money directly to Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands (Wilhelmina of the Netherlands) to build a court. However, this was not allowed by law, so the Carnegie Foundation was established in November 1903, which was directly responsible for managing the financial operations of the Peace Palace. The fund is still operating today.

In order to find a suitable design solution, the foundation decided to solicit architectural design proposals from around the world. The winning proposal was a Neo-Renaissance design by French designer Louis M. Cordonnier. In order to make the design plan feasible for construction within the budget, Cordnier and his Dutch assistant Van der Steur also made adjustments to the original plan. Originally, there were two large bell towers on the front of the Peace Palace and two small bell towers on the back. Finally, there is only one bell tower at the front and rear. To save money, the library was integrated into the winning design for the Peace Palace. The open space within the grounds of the Peace Palace was designed by Thomas Hayton Mawson, who also reduced the number of fountains and sculptures to fit the budget.

During the construction of the Peace Palace, it also received gifts from many countries, most of which were used in the construction and decoration of the Peace Palace. On August 28, 1913, the Peace Palace was officially put into use.

In 2007, Queen Beatrix opened the new Peace Palace Library of International Law. In this new building, it not only contains There are all the books, there's a lecture theater, a new reading room.

Introduction to the Peace Palace The Peace Palace is a brown-red palace-style building with two floors and two towering towers. The front of the Peace Palace is a corridor composed of 9 large arches, and the clock tower rising to the west is the tallest building nearby. The vaulted hall on the ground floor is entirely made of marble and decorated with golden reliefs. The floor is patterned with milky white and light blue marble. In the middle of the main corridor in the middle of the hall, there is a stone sculpture of the Goddess of Justice presented by the United States, backed by three floor-to-ceiling windows inlaid with stained glass. There is a large court and two small courts on both sides of the downstairs. Gifts from various countries are displayed in the corridor, including a cloisonné vase with a mahogany base that is taller than a human being and was given by China.

In the middle of the front of the large courtroom is the court bench, with more than ten high-backed chairs arranged behind it, which are the seats for judges and assistants. When hearing major cases, all judges appear in court. There are more than 100 seats in the court for the public and reporters to observe. The two small courts on the first floor each have only four judges' seats and mainly deal with general disputes and preliminary trials. There are judges' conference rooms and offices on the second floor. Among them, the conference room named "Japan Room" has all the displays and decorations donated by Japan. The First World War broke out in the second year after the Peace Palace was built. The League of Nations established after the war established the Permanent Court of International Justice here. It and the original International Court of Arbitration are judicial institutions under the League of Nations.

After World War II, these two tribunals were renamed the International Court of Justice and became the judicial organs of the United Nations. All member states of the United Nations are members of the International Court of Justice.